Monday 7 April 2014

Biker mortality

Bike not representative of my own!

by Catherine Pratt

More on death - it's been a recurring theme recently, having been involved in the Encountering Corpses exhibition, and for various reasons has been on my mind more than usual.

I'm a biker (ok, Scooterist, but they've still got two wheels and an engine). The experience of encountering a car pulling straight out into your path on a regular basis does serve as a constant reminder than motorcyclists are 35 times more likely to die in an accident than car drivers [Source: THINK!]. My partner was recently knocked off her motorbike and that call from the police at 10pm could so easily have been much worse news. All this does tend to remind me of my mortality.

Prior to getting into biking, I didn't have anywhere near as many reminders, however the Christian faith does have a lot to say about it - or at least, a lot to say about life after death. I've never really explored this, or heaven and hell, very much until now, as it all seemed to me to be a pretty harsh system and I didn't fancy dwelling on it. I'm currently reading Love Wins (At The Heart of Life's Big Questions) by Rob Bell, so I might have a little more to say about this in the near future...

No comments:

Post a Comment